Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Gingerbread House Class Display

I love putting up a class display in the hall for everyone to see, especially for the holidays. I'm still working on this year's Christmas display, so I thought I'd share one from a few years ago. It's a big gingerbread house and I put the kids' faces inside little gingerbread people. I had a small class that year, so it was pretty simple. Here it is on my living room floor:
The house and people and many decorations are made from felt. Then I glued the whole thing on a big piece of red paper so I could staple it to the wall in the hallway. I used stiffened glitter felt for the words and gum drops. I used white fluffy glittery material for the snow. Some of the decorations are foam stickers, like the candies above the door. The candy canes on the sides of the door are made from pipe cleaners twisted together.
I use styrofoam balls cut in half for the snowman and tiny black felt squares for his eyes and mouth.
I like how the gingerbread boy stacked two gum drops so he could put in the snowman's nose!
I used silver glittery pipe cleaners to make icicles hanging from the roof.
And I used beads for ornaments on the tree.
I also used real mini christmas lights (yes, they really worked!) and strung them through from the back. I taped the battery pack to the back, but down low so I could reach it from the front to turn them off and on.
And all the gingerbread people were decorated with puffy paint. It was so fun to make!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You are so dang cute! This is the coolest Christmas display I have EVER seen! You should write a book about classroom display ideas...Seriously! You always do such an amazing job!

Betsy said...

Ooh, that would be fun! Thanks, Rachel!

Nancy said...

Love it Bets!! You are so amazingly talented. Why didn't I get any of that??

Sarah said...

Seriously cute!