Saturday, September 22, 2012

Caramel Apple Craft

Happy Autumnal Equinox! Finally! I have a very simple craft to share with you that involves a yummy fall treat. Except this one isn't edible -- sorry! I cut out some apple shapes and mixed brown, white and yellow paint to make a caramel-y color. It didn't look too real, but it was good enough. I also added some glue to the paint. You'll find out why in a bit. The kids painted their apples upside down.
When you eat a caramel apple, you actually eat it upside down because the stick gets inserted into the top of the apple. I told them to leave a little bit of their apple showing at the bottom (which is really the top) so it would look like the apple was dipped into the caramel. And just for fun, we added sprinkles. I brought in Halloween sprinkles because I have two big containers of them for some reason.
So while the paint was still wet, the kids shook on some sprinkles. That's why I added the glue to the paint. The sprinkles may have stuck to just wet paint, but I wasn't sure if they would stick after the paint dried.
When they were dry, I taped jumbo craft sticks to the back.
And there you have it -- caramel apples! Even though I am in my late 30's, I still enjoy this treat and make it every fall!

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh, how fun, but I would definitely like a real one more. Caramel apples are my favorite fall treat!

Unknown said...

These definitely make me hungry for a treat! :) I love the added sprinkles!!

Jamy said...

This is spectacular! Just found your blog via Pinterest and I'm hooked! Thanks for all the fun ideas!

Lori Summers said...

This is such a cute idea! I'll definitely have to let my daughter do this one!! Adorable!! Thanks for sharing!!