Monday, October 22, 2012

My Halloween Display

By now some of you probably know I love making class displays in the hallway for different seasons and holidays. It's one of my favorite things to do. It usually involves a picture of each child in some form or another. This time, I first traced each child's foot (without a shoe, but with a sock on) onto white paper. Then I made the word BOO out of orange construction paper and glued it to black construction paper and took a picture of each child holding the Boo sign.
Some made a scary face and some just smiled. Then I cut out their picture and their foot ghost. I put their picture behind their ghost, held it up to the light so I could see through it, and made pencil marks where their eyes were. I used a hole punch to make the eye holes. Then I glued their picture to a black piece of paper and put their ghost on top, taping just the top of it to the black paper so it could be lifted up.

I thought it would be fun for the parents to guess which ghost is their child, so I made a little sign:
If you can't read it, it says:
"Look at all the ghosts
And guess who is who.
Then lift them up
To see who says Boo!"

And because we used feet to make our ghosts, I decided to title this display, "Trick or Treat, Smell my Feet!"
Pretty cool, don't you think?

I did a similar display several years ago, but the kids made any costume they wished by drawing it on paper. Then I punched out the eye holes and put a picture of the kid underneath. I wasn't sure if all of my kids in my current class would be able to draw a costume, so I thought ghosts would be cute. (See my Halloween displays from the past here and here.)
I also brought in a little treat for my co-workers.
Can you guess why I would bring in pink baby booties? That's right! I found out on Friday that I'm having a girl!! I thought of making mummy cupcakes and sticking little pink pacifiers in them where a mouth would be, but I honestly didn't feel like doing all the work. (I did find cute party favor pacifiers at Party City that would have been perfect, though!) Find out how I made these super easy booties here!

No comments: