Thursday, December 19, 2013

Gift for Parents: Framed Stained-Glass Trees

My kids have been very busy this week making their Christmas presents for their parents. I combined two ideas that I loved. First they made craft-stick frames, like those seen on I Heart Crafty Things, except we used jumbo craft sticks. Then they made stained-glass trees, as seen on Pam's Drawing Board. Put the two together and you have a beautiful gift!
They added glitter to their tissue paper squares while the glue was still wet.
And when it was all dry, I drew triangles on the back of the paper and they cut them out, glued on a trunk and then glued the trees inside the frame.

When I made my example, I used three trees,
but I thought that might be a bit much for them, plus they were really small. So I gave them the option of one big tree or two slightly smaller trees. I told them they didn't have to be perfect with their cutting because trees aren't perfect either. I love how they turned out!
I also decided to add a ribbon at the top for hanging because they look beautiful in a window with the sun shining in!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Adorable trees Did you use cardstock for the background?

Unknown said...

Oh Betsy, I am in love!!! I totally want to make new ones now just like yours!! They are sooo beautiful! That tree in the middle is just perfect!! Thanks for linking back to me. You are a doll! :-) Have a Merry Christmas!